Funding Available For Council and Community Energy Initiatives in South Australia
More funding for SA council/community energy projects
Councils in South Australia can now apply for funding under round two of the Local Government Association’s Solar Councils Innovation Fund.
The fund targets investment in research and development projects related to current or future use of renewable or low carbon energy by councils or their communities.
The LGA says research and/or development projects that may qualify for funds include:
- investigating and developing local renewable energy options depending on the specific renewable energy profile of the region;
- small scale “community owned” renewable energy generation;
- opportunities for local/regional participation in renewable energy pilot plants;
- social, economic and environmental studies relating to local/regional renewable energy generation, uptake, potential;
- programs or opportunities that may assist in the awareness and uptake of renewable energy; and
- renewable energy initiatives outlined in the LGA’s Climate Change Strategy or LGA South Australia/State Government Climate Change Sector Agreement.
The deadline for councils to apply for funding is 5 October 2012 and applications will be assessed by an independent advisory committee that will make recommendations to the association’s State Executive Committee.
Round one of the Solar Councils Innovation Fund provided funding of $150,000 for seven projects.